Just Blue focuses mainly on the identification of Ascidians (also know as tunicates
or sea squirts), however, we do the identification of most benthic marine invertebrates.
If you want more information or want a collection identified,
please click here.
The following is a guideline of how costs for the identification of a collection
of specimens are calculated.
- All specimens in a sample will be identified.
- Cost is per specimen, not per sample.
- Cost is in US Dollars $US.
- First identification to species in collection $150.
- Subsequent identification of already identified species $100.
- If unable to identify to species, identification to genus $100.
- If unable to identify to genus, will vary from $0 to $80 depending on the amount
of work required to identify and to what level of identification.
- It takes about a day to identify a specimen, subject to laboratory availability.
For example, your collection consists of the following specimens and species:
- Sample 1 contains a single species (sp. A), the cost for identification of the
sample to species level is $150.
- Sample 2 contains two species (sp. B. and sp. C) the cost for identification of
both species within sample B to species level would be $300.
- Sample 3 contains two species (sp. A and sp. D). The cost for identification of
sp. A (to species level) is $100 and sp. D (to species level) is $150, giving a
total of $250 for sample C.
- Sample 4 contains a specimen that can not be identified to species level due to
the sample being damaged or badly preserved or only part of the specimen collected.
The cost is dependent on the level of identification possible. If identification
is deemed impossible there is no cost. If identification is possible to genus level
$100 per specimen identified is charged. If it can only be identified to family
level less is charged depending on the amount of work required to make the identification.
- Sample 5 contains a single species (sp. E) which is found to be a new species
of which the description has not been published. This will be indicated and cost
would be the same as a specimen identified to species level, i.e. $150.
- The total cost for the collection will be $150+$300+$250+$0+$150=$850.
- There are 7 specimens in the 5 samples, so it will take about 7 working days to
identify all the samples. If I can only schedule 1 lab day a week, you will only
get the results 7 weeks later.
Please note cost is per specimen and not per sample. All specimens will be identified
within a sample (bottle or bag sent) except if specifically stated otherwise.
If you would like the specimens to be returned to you or sent somewhere else you
will be liable for the shipping costs.
The species list as well as the invoice will be sent via electronic mail in PDF
format. Electronic banking details and all relevant information is given on the
invoice. The full report contains the species list, synonymy of each species identified,
known distribution and a reference bibliography of all relevant literatures. The
report will be sent electronically via e-mail in PDF format. A printed copy of the
report and invoice will be posted after payment has been received. If there are
any queries please let me know and I will be happy to help.
If you are happy with the above arrangement concerning the costs involved we will
let you know how to pack and send the specimens.